Wednesday, June 18, 2008

YA'LL COME OVER


Walmart had their yearly stockholder meeting a couple weeks ago here in Northwest Arkansas. I always look forward to this time of year because people from all over the world come to enjoy the festivities and have their vision for Walmart rekindled.

I stop and intoduce myself to people and ask where they are from, and chat a bit with them a bit, find out their life's histories. Sorry, but writers do that. We don't mean to be nosey, but we can't help it. Especially writers from the South!

This year I met three lovely people from the United Kingdom. One from Bath, one from Brighton, and the other from Manchester (I think) I told them about my blog and asked if they would be interested in reading about all the places of interest in the United States to visit. After all, it is a bargin here now for all of you with pockets full of Euros! They all agreed that they would like to come back and it would be helpful to know more about this country.


Soooooo, that is just what I'm going to do for a while.




To start off it may be helpful to get a feel for the size of the USA.
It is the 3rd largest country in the world measuring 9.83 million sq.km.

Some of the countries represented by my readers are as follows:
Croatia 56691 sq. km
The United Kingdom 243000 sq.km
New Zealand 270534 sq. km
Italy 301225 sq. km
Poland 312843 sq. km
Norway 323758 sq. km
Germany 356959 sq. km

Then there is Canada, the second largest country in the world at 10 million sq. km. I found these figures on the internet. If they are off, I apologize.

The USA is divided into five regions:

New England includes Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont.



Mid-Atlantic includes Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, and Washington D.C..



The South (woo hoo!) includes Alabama, Arkansas (my home state) Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North and South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia.



The Midwest includes Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.



The Southwest includes Arizona, New Mexico, Okalhoma, and Texas.



The West includes Alaska, Colorado, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington (state) and Wyoming



As you can see seeing the USA would take a year (or more) and there is so much to see. The majority of world cultures are represented here.

I've decided to tackle this project in two ways. First, I will take a region and write about each state in that region and highlight notables places to see.

Second, for all who write expressing their interests and wondering where to go to in relation to that intereest, I will do the research and write about it. Or, if you have a specific area you are wondering about, let me know and if I haven't been there I'll find out.

Also, for those of you in the USA, write me about your area of the country and what it has to offer tourists including places to stay and eat. (gotta eat you know!)

Either comment on this blog or write me at lindacapple@gmail.com.

I'm going to begin with my roots first, The South! And I'll take each state alphabetically. So if there are any of you in Alabama who want to send me the must sees in your area, please do so.

Next week - ALABAMA!

No comments: